Google+ The Bluestocking Firefly: 365 Days of Rain, part 9
Google+

Sunday, February 10, 2013

365 Days of Rain, part 9

The rest of 365 Days of Rain can be found here.


“Yeah. Not convinced.” He glanced over my head and tugged me to the side so that a customer could come through the door. “You can start tomorrow. Be here by eight thirty. Good morning, Mrs Jameson. After the latest Julia Quinn?”

He moved away from me to lead the customer into the New Arrivals section of the bookstore. I hovered by the door for a moment, wondering if I should stay, and then gave up and left.

My phone rang as I walked towards the Farmer’s Market.

“Hello?”

“I hear you’re back in the country,” said a familiar teasing voice.

“Adam!” A smile spread across my face. Adam was one of my oldest friends; we’d gone to the same schools since we were tiny. “I wasn’t expecting to hear from you so soon!”

“I wasn’t expecting to have to hear from my mother that you were back,” he retorted. “Why didn’t you tell me you were coming back stateside?”

I sidestepped a jogger and sighed. “Well, it was all kind of sudden and I didn’t really tell anyone other than my parents because I kept hoping it wasn’t real. Where are you now?”

“Portland. Want me to come up? I’m not doing anything this week.”

“Don’t you have a job?”

“Oh, Katy my love, keep up with the times. Consultant, remember? And I’ve got nothing on the books after this afternoon, so I can be all yours for as long as you want me.”

I spotted Mum and Grandma up ahead and quickened my pace. “Sure, that sounds good. I’m starting a new job tomorrow morning, but I don’t know what my hours or days are yet. Pretty sure my evening should be free at any rate and I’d love to see you.”

“Excellent. I’ll see you in time for dinner tomorrow, then. Ask your mom if she’ll make pot roast. Her pot roast is killer. See you tomorrow, Katy love.”

He hung up and I tucked my phone back into my bra, shaking my head. Adam was so unpredictable. It would be good to see him, though. There was hardly anyone left in town from the old days — if I actually planned on staying in Olympia for any length of time, I was going to have to make some new friends. Oh god. The very idea made me want to crawl into a hole and never come back out.

Mum waved and I headed over. I could think about making friends later. For now, I had family members to deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment