Google+ The Bluestocking Firefly: 365 Days of Rain, part 4
Google+

Sunday, December 2, 2012

365 Days of Rain, part 4

Click here for the rest of the story.


I turned on the bathroom light upstairs and almost died of shock at the state of my hair. Jesus, no wonder Ryan was perpetually amused; between the hair and the sleep- and mascara-induced circles under my eyes, I looked like an electrified racoon-zombie. Good look, Katy. Real sexy. Oh well, that was okay. It was. I looked at my reflection again and sighed. The whole convincing myself that I didn’t want to sleep with him was not going well. This was the whole point of the super comfy and super unsexy flannel pajamas: remind myself that a) I was very, very tired and really wanted to go to bed ASAP because if I didn’t I was going to collapse and fall asleep, and b) that tumbling into bed with Ryan Warner the first time I’d seen him in five years was a bad plan — not least because I’d probably fall asleep and that would be a really crap impression to make. But really, electrified racoon-zombie?

Ryan was leaning against the counter and sipping his coffee when I came back downstairs, looking around the kitchen with studied interest. The corner of his mouth quirked up with amusement when he saw me.

“Those are decidedly
unsexy pajamas,” he said.

Good. Mission accomplished. “How’s the coffee?” I asked, tucking my hands into my sleeves. “And no snap judgments on my pjs, thank you. I like them. They’re comfy. Besides, anything can be sexy if you want it to be.”

His eyes darkened. “Is that so?”

Now, why had I gone and said that? I cleared my throat. “Coffee’s okay, then?”

He took another sip. “Yep. It’s Batdorf and Bronson’s French Roast. Not my favourite, but it’ll do.” With a sigh, he drained the mug and rinsed it out. Setting it in the sink, he said, “I should be going. You look like you’re about to fall asleep on your feet, and I’ve got a meeting with my accountant at eight am tomorrow morning, so I’d like to get home and unpack and have a beer or something before bed. But if you’re going to be in town for awhile we should do something.”

As much as I wanted to just agree, my mind flickered back to Erik and shied away from jumping into anything, even if it was only an offer of friendship, because I couldn’t envision anything with Ryan staying a friendship for long. I could deal with a one-night stand with no emotional attachments just at the moment, but I didn’t think Ryan was that kind of man. And my heart wasn’t ready to be trampled on again so soon. On the other hand, life in Olympia with only my parents for company was going to get really old really fast. I weighed my options.

Well, that was an easy decision.

“Company other than my parents’ would be fantastic,” I said. “You might want to wait until I’m not jetlagged, thought. Otherwise you’ll just be dragging around a zombie. And as much fun as
that might be, I’m much better company once I’ve had enough sleep.”

“Give me your phone number and I’ll text you, then. Maybe something this weekend? Or will you still be zombified?”

I laughed. “No, I imagine I’ll be sufficiently recovered by then.” I took his phone and put in my information. It was only an exchange of information. That was all. Shut
up, conscience. Handing it back, I said, “I love zoos. If you want to get out of Olympia maybe we could go up to Woodland Park?”

“Only if I get to see the monkeys.”

“Deal.” I hesitated, and then said, “You’ll have to drive, I’m afraid. I haven’t got a car, and besides, my licence expired two months ago.”

“I can cope with that,” he said, moving towards the door. “If you think you can get out of my car without kissing the pavement.”

“That was a one-time thing!”

“Yeah, sure it was.” He grinned. “I’ll text you, in any case.”

“Okay,” I said, smothering a yawn. “Thanks again for the ride.”

“No problem. Good to see you again, Katy. Say hi to your parents.” He opened the door. “Oh, hello Mr and Mrs Reynolds.”

No comments:

Post a Comment